Skip to main content

6 (more) Tips For Keto Success


So, you have gathered the information you need to prepare you for success with a Ketogenic diet, but still need some guidance staying on track? Today, I'm listing my best tips for success with a Keto diet.

1. Water, water, water!
Drinking a lot of water is an important part of any weight loss process, but it is especially important on Keto. Keto is a diuretic diet, meaning, it gets rid of your excess water stores (yay for getting rid of water weight!). However, this can mean dehydration, an imbalance of electrolytes, and generally feeling crummy overall. Sometimes, this can cause your body to crave sugar or salt, and can cause you to get knocked off track. You should be aiming to consume half your body weight in ounces, daily. For example, a 200 lb person should drink 100 ounces of water.

2. Do your research
While I was getting ready to start Keto, I read all the blogs, articles and resources I could find explaining the Keto diet, what I could eat, what to avoid, how Keto was different from other ways of eating, etc. Feeling informed on the subject matter helped me to feel capable and prepared to approach this lifestyle change with confidence.
For all the resources you need to start your Keto journey, all in one place, click here for my new e-book and meal plan.

3. Stock up and prepare in advance
Once you've figured out what Keto foods you're allowed, and you know what sounds good to you, go do a grocery haul and stock up. Buy cheese snacks, deli meats, bacon, eggs, sugar free condiments, and green vegetables. Buy the meats you like and know how to cook. Go ahead and cook some things to keep in the fridge for quick grabs. Cook a pack of bacon, hard boil some eggs, portion some deli meat and cheese into small ziplocs.

4. TRACK your macros
If you don't keep track of what you're eating, it is easy to let the macros quickly get out of balance. Remember, you want to be taking in 70% of your calories from fat, 25% from protein, and less than 5% (less than 20g) from carbs. Read labels, make sure nothing you're eating contains sugar or too many carbs, and take note of what a SERVING is. If one serving of nuts is 1/4 cup with 6g carbs, but you don't take the time to read the serving or measure it out, you may end up eating two or three servings and the entirety of your carbs for the day. Use an app like My Fitness Pal to make sure you're keeping your macro allotments in balance. Make sure to track any condiments or cooking oils you use! If you cook something in butter or lard, you also need to make sure you track that. If you don't measure or track your condiments or spreads, it's easy to be taking in too many carbs, or way more calories than you think, without realizing it.

5. Refuse to focus on what you're "missing out on."
Your eating style up until this point hasn't worked for you, or you wouldn't be in a place where you needed to lose weight and change your eating. You are choosing to change your eating to make your life better. Focus on the goal, the end result, the way you'll feel when you start seeing progress or meet your goal. Imagine how great it will feel to go shopping for smaller jeans. Imagine how exciting it will feel to have more energy and better mental clarity. Remember how empowered you will feel when you step on the scale and realize you've met a goal!

6. Don't compare your progress to other's progress
Remember, your goals aren't other people's goals, and theirs aren't the same as yours. Some people start a new diet and drop 15 lbs in the first week, some people only drop 1. Some people's bodies get into Ketosis quickly, some people take about a week to really get into fat-burning mode. Social media profiles of others on Keto can be a great tool for inspiration and motivation, but it's important to remember not to compare. It's also important to remember that you can't always tell how much weight people have to lose. I had a lady message me once and say "I'm on Keto, but I've only lost 6 lbs and you've lost 14 in the same amount of time and that's discouraging, I must be doing something wrong." I told her I was probably heavier than her, and she was surprised to learn that I was sitting at about 20 lbs heavier than she was. If you have 30-40 lbs of fat to lose, as opposed to someone who has 100+ lbs to lose, of course you're going to lose much slower than they do. Focus on your own goals and your own journey. Don't compare!


If you are just starting out on your Ketogenic weight loss journey, remember that you are capable of accomplishing your goal, and worthy of investing energy and effort into. Regardless of the work or time it takes, you will get there! Have faith in the process and do the best that YOU can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Cheesecake Fruit Dip

Happy Memorial Day! Later today we are going over to my parent's house for a family dinner and yesterday I was perusing the Aldi for something fun to bring along with us. They had some great looking keto-friendly-fruit (berries) for super cheap (which, let's be honest, that's why we love Aldi!). So I grabbed a bunch (all for under $5) and decided to come up with a fruit dip that would compliment it. I used to create a fruit dip that was [delicious, but] chock full of sugar that was cream cheese, cool whip and sweetened condensed milk. Every once and a while, I would try to reign in the sugar by buying "light" or sugar free cool whip, but still, the sweetened condensed milk accounted for everyone's carbs for the day (or week). Anyway, it was one of my favorite things to make for a party, and I wanted to come up with a keto friendly alternative. On instagram somewhere, a friend posted a recipe for keto condensed milk, and I'll try that one day, b

"The Fat Woosh" Theory

So, you may or may not have heard this theory before, but it's one of those "I wish I'd known about that earlier" things that I recently started to understand. When you are on a weight loss journey, you sometimes will experience stalls or periods of unexplained plateaus. You're doing everything right, but you're not losing weight. It can get super frustrating, but there may be a scientific reason why it's happening. I've touched on this a little bit before, but today I wanted to explain it in a little better detail to provide some clarity, and hopefully, some encouragement if you've found yourself in a weight loss stall.  So, I've talked before about how your body puts in a lot of work to keep us healthy and thriving. Sometimes, if you change your eating habits suddenly, or are losing weight too quickly, your body will work to slow down the process, in case this might indicate that you are starving or in crisis. We know that we're not

Body Image While On a Weightloss Journey

So, today I wanted to write about something that is very personal for me - and that's maintaining self esteem while on a weight loss journey. Throughout my struggle with my weight over the last few years, my self esteem and body image has taken some massive hits. I have had lots of "I look like THAT?" moments, followed by several more "I STILL look like THAT?" The first time it really hit me how overweight I had gotten was at my son's second birthday party. I put a LOT of work into his Toy Story party and the end result was SO cute. I had gone pinterest-crazy and spent way too much money on a two year old's birthday, but I was SO pleased with the result. So much so that I hired a family friend to come take professional pictures. The pride I had felt in regard to his party quickly dissipated when I saw how I looked in the pictures. At first glance, all you see in this picture is a young, happy family - but for me, these photos represent how far gon