Skip to main content

Overcoming "Gymtimidation"



The first time I ever stepped foot in a gym, I was at least 100 lbs overweight, and to say I was "intimidated" would have been a VERY generous way of putting it! I felt like EVERYONE was fitter than me, everyone was staring at me, and everyone was secretly laughing at me behind my back. I was so out of place, I didn't even feel comfortable looking at my reflection in any of the many mirrors. I was afraid to try anything new, to gravitate from any of the "easy" machines, or to ask for help.

The thing is, none of these feelings had to do with anything that was actually going on, and had everything to do with what was going on in my head. Even though I may have gotten a couple condescending glances here and there, no one was opposing me and my workouts more than the voice in my own head!

I had heard before "we wouldn't worry so much about what others think of us, if we realized how rarely they did," but it was difficult to put in practice in my own life. The first step for me to overcome my gym anxiety was to remember how little attention anyone was probably giving me. It helped to remember that the illusion of "all eyes on me" was simply an illusion, and at the end of the day, nobody was watching me, everyone was focused on their own stuff, and I should be too. If you are worried about being judged by strangers, try to remember the last time that you really, truly concerned yourself with what another person was doing. If those instances are few and far between for you, they probably are for others too.

Next, don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. I know that may sound daunting, but if you're trying to figure out how to work a new piece of equipment, but the person using the one next to you looks like they've got it figured out - ask! I have found that most people will help if asked. And, if they don't, then there's an entire gym staff of people that are literally paid to be available to help those who need it. Be willing to help yourself by asking for help. Ask a friend, a stranger, an employee, just ask. When I first started going to the gym, the first machine I attempted to use (after the treadmill) was an elliptical. I got on but could not for the LOVE of all things holy get it to turn on. One nice person next to me said "just start peddling!" and they were right! I didn't know I had to start moving before I turned the thing on. But that gave me enough clarity to try an elliptical for the first time. Then I moved on to trying weight machines. Then I moved on to trying the stair master, and found that it was one of my favorite cardio machines ever! Now, I know how to operate 90% of the equipment in any given gym, but only because I started and someone offered me some help. Eventually, you will get more comfortable, you will figure out what you're doing, and you'll be able to offer friendly tips to the newcomers. For now, don't be afraid to ask for tips.

Bring/make friends! My current gym membership (and most of the ones I've had in the past) allowed me to bring a friend on a guest pass. Sometimes, the best way for me to learn new machines was to bring my husband on his lunch break and make him walk me through certain things. He was my security blanket for a while and we still like to work out together when we have the chance! Sometimes it helps make the experience more fun and less awkward if you can work out with a friend. And if you can't do that, make friends! I see a lot of the same people every time I work out. It never hurts to be friendly, strike up a conversation and make a new gym buddy. Sometimes it can help you feel comfortable with your environment by being familiar with the people in it.

Lastly, believe that you deserve to be there.You are a beginner, but so was EVERY OTHER PERSON in that building at some point in their life! Nobody started out a bodybuilder. Nobody woke up one morning and morphed into a runner. Everybody had to take the leap and START, even if it meant not knowing what they were doing for a while. It's OK! You are a human and you don't know everything! But it is OK. You will learn. You are doing your best, and you are worthy of investing in. Do not let any critical voices, especially the one in between your ears, tell you otherwise.



For information and resources on how to kick-start your Keto weight loss journey today, click here.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Cheesecake Fruit Dip

Happy Memorial Day! Later today we are going over to my parent's house for a family dinner and yesterday I was perusing the Aldi for something fun to bring along with us. They had some great looking keto-friendly-fruit (berries) for super cheap (which, let's be honest, that's why we love Aldi!). So I grabbed a bunch (all for under $5) and decided to come up with a fruit dip that would compliment it. I used to create a fruit dip that was [delicious, but] chock full of sugar that was cream cheese, cool whip and sweetened condensed milk. Every once and a while, I would try to reign in the sugar by buying "light" or sugar free cool whip, but still, the sweetened condensed milk accounted for everyone's carbs for the day (or week). Anyway, it was one of my favorite things to make for a party, and I wanted to come up with a keto friendly alternative. On instagram somewhere, a friend posted a recipe for keto condensed milk, and I'll try that one day, b

"The Fat Woosh" Theory

So, you may or may not have heard this theory before, but it's one of those "I wish I'd known about that earlier" things that I recently started to understand. When you are on a weight loss journey, you sometimes will experience stalls or periods of unexplained plateaus. You're doing everything right, but you're not losing weight. It can get super frustrating, but there may be a scientific reason why it's happening. I've touched on this a little bit before, but today I wanted to explain it in a little better detail to provide some clarity, and hopefully, some encouragement if you've found yourself in a weight loss stall.  So, I've talked before about how your body puts in a lot of work to keep us healthy and thriving. Sometimes, if you change your eating habits suddenly, or are losing weight too quickly, your body will work to slow down the process, in case this might indicate that you are starving or in crisis. We know that we're not

Body Image While On a Weightloss Journey

So, today I wanted to write about something that is very personal for me - and that's maintaining self esteem while on a weight loss journey. Throughout my struggle with my weight over the last few years, my self esteem and body image has taken some massive hits. I have had lots of "I look like THAT?" moments, followed by several more "I STILL look like THAT?" The first time it really hit me how overweight I had gotten was at my son's second birthday party. I put a LOT of work into his Toy Story party and the end result was SO cute. I had gone pinterest-crazy and spent way too much money on a two year old's birthday, but I was SO pleased with the result. So much so that I hired a family friend to come take professional pictures. The pride I had felt in regard to his party quickly dissipated when I saw how I looked in the pictures. At first glance, all you see in this picture is a young, happy family - but for me, these photos represent how far gon