Skip to main content

Plateaus and Perseverance

So, April has been a bit frustrating. I came into the month super excited! I just knew this was going to be the month that I FINALLY hit my "onederland" goal that I have (literally) been working towards for years now. I am right past the halfway point of my ultimate weight loss goal (which will ultimately be 120 lbs) and as of now, I have lost 62. More than half way there! All I want is to get to the 190's. It's not too much to ask! I lost 17 lbs in February, the shortest month of the year! I even got a pedicure for the "look I finally did it, here's my feet on a scale that says '199' on it!" picture (no, I'm not kidding). 

BUT alas... Here I sit at 203. In the past, if I plateau'd for more than a few weeks, I would just throw in the towel. A BIG part of that problem was that I was thinking of my diet as something that was a punishment, and deprivation that was unfair. I was CLEARLY sacrificing so much by abstaining from junk food and if it wasn't going to make me drop weight, WHAT was the point?

But, here's what I know now:

- I am doing this for me; to be healthier, have a clearer mind, better mental health, less inflammation, less need for medication over the course of time, less discomfort, etc. in addition to losing weight and all of those things are still in the works even when the scale is not moving.

- The scale is not moving, but my body is still changing. Inches speak louder than pounds sometimes, and even though I am not changing my relationship with gravity this month, I am losing inches.

- My body frequently finds a weight it is comfortable at, and hangs out there for a while. I don't know why, but it does! Plateaus are a normal part of the process. 

- Giving up will only send me backwards. I am not someone who can maintain weight without trying. As soon as I give up, I will gain weight quickly and I will be right back where I started, feeling SO disappointed in myself and so defeated! NOT. WORTH. IT.

So, I will keep pressing forward. It's not the progress I was hoping for in April, but onederland will come! For now, I am going to stay consistent, keep working and continue watching for the 190's!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Cheesecake Fruit Dip

Happy Memorial Day! Later today we are going over to my parent's house for a family dinner and yesterday I was perusing the Aldi for something fun to bring along with us. They had some great looking keto-friendly-fruit (berries) for super cheap (which, let's be honest, that's why we love Aldi!). So I grabbed a bunch (all for under $5) and decided to come up with a fruit dip that would compliment it. I used to create a fruit dip that was [delicious, but] chock full of sugar that was cream cheese, cool whip and sweetened condensed milk. Every once and a while, I would try to reign in the sugar by buying "light" or sugar free cool whip, but still, the sweetened condensed milk accounted for everyone's carbs for the day (or week). Anyway, it was one of my favorite things to make for a party, and I wanted to come up with a keto friendly alternative. On instagram somewhere, a friend posted a recipe for keto condensed milk, and I'll try that one day, b

"The Fat Woosh" Theory

So, you may or may not have heard this theory before, but it's one of those "I wish I'd known about that earlier" things that I recently started to understand. When you are on a weight loss journey, you sometimes will experience stalls or periods of unexplained plateaus. You're doing everything right, but you're not losing weight. It can get super frustrating, but there may be a scientific reason why it's happening. I've touched on this a little bit before, but today I wanted to explain it in a little better detail to provide some clarity, and hopefully, some encouragement if you've found yourself in a weight loss stall.  So, I've talked before about how your body puts in a lot of work to keep us healthy and thriving. Sometimes, if you change your eating habits suddenly, or are losing weight too quickly, your body will work to slow down the process, in case this might indicate that you are starving or in crisis. We know that we're not

Body Image While On a Weightloss Journey

So, today I wanted to write about something that is very personal for me - and that's maintaining self esteem while on a weight loss journey. Throughout my struggle with my weight over the last few years, my self esteem and body image has taken some massive hits. I have had lots of "I look like THAT?" moments, followed by several more "I STILL look like THAT?" The first time it really hit me how overweight I had gotten was at my son's second birthday party. I put a LOT of work into his Toy Story party and the end result was SO cute. I had gone pinterest-crazy and spent way too much money on a two year old's birthday, but I was SO pleased with the result. So much so that I hired a family friend to come take professional pictures. The pride I had felt in regard to his party quickly dissipated when I saw how I looked in the pictures. At first glance, all you see in this picture is a young, happy family - but for me, these photos represent how far gon