Skip to main content

Recipe: Fathead Calzones

So, this is going to sound RIDICULOUS, but I am actually starting to get a little tired of pizza. I literally, never in my life, thought I would say those words. It's not so much PIZZA that I'm tired of, as much as it is keto-pizza-replacements, probably... but since those are my only options right now, we'll act like I'm tired of pizza. However, our family's weekly tradition is pizza-movie Fridays. I usually will have a couple of frozen pizzas in my freezer, and will cook one of those for my kids, and then make a Fathead pizza for my husband and I. Anyway, I was starting to get a little bit "over" it. That, and the fact that I've been re-watching Parks and Rec and the character "Ben" mentions his love for calzones every few episodes or so, gave me the idea to try and make a Fathead calzone.


If you haven't made a "Fathead" dough yet, it's basically cheese and almond flour. Some variations add an egg, some do not. For this one, I felt like it would probably need a little more "help" holding that dough together, so I did add an egg to the dough.

The other thing to remember is that fathead dough can get super sticky, so it is best to handle it by slightly wetting your hands with cold water first, and then mashing and forming your dough.

Ingredients for Fathead Calzones:
3/4 Cup Almond Flour
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 Ounces Cream Cheese
1 Egg
Pinch of Salt, Garlic Powder and Parsley
Cooking spray and parchment paper
Your favorite pizza toppings!

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Start by putting your shredded mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for thirty seconds, stir, microwave another thirty seconds, stir, and repeat until thoroughly well combined and not "stringy." It's also important to watch the temperature and not make it too hot. If it is too hot, it will be too sticky and won't cooperate.



 Work in your egg, seasonings, and almond flour until it resembles a dough. Divide it in two, and press it as flat as you can onto a parchment paper covered baking sheet.


Fill half of it with your favorite toppings, I used shredded mozzarella, parmesan, black olives and some (cooked) sausage.


 Use your parchment paper to help you fold the calzone on top of itself. Then, pinch the edges together until it is mostly closed.



Spray the top of your calzone with cooking spray, sprinkle with parmesan and parsley. Bake for 12-14 minutes until toasty brown. Serve with sugar free marinara or pizza sauce for dipping! So good!

For information about my Keto E-Book to get you kickstarted on your weight loss journey with Keto, click here!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Cheesecake Fruit Dip

Happy Memorial Day! Later today we are going over to my parent's house for a family dinner and yesterday I was perusing the Aldi for something fun to bring along with us. They had some great looking keto-friendly-fruit (berries) for super cheap (which, let's be honest, that's why we love Aldi!). So I grabbed a bunch (all for under $5) and decided to come up with a fruit dip that would compliment it. I used to create a fruit dip that was [delicious, but] chock full of sugar that was cream cheese, cool whip and sweetened condensed milk. Every once and a while, I would try to reign in the sugar by buying "light" or sugar free cool whip, but still, the sweetened condensed milk accounted for everyone's carbs for the day (or week). Anyway, it was one of my favorite things to make for a party, and I wanted to come up with a keto friendly alternative. On instagram somewhere, a friend posted a recipe for keto condensed milk, and I'll try that one day, b

"The Fat Woosh" Theory

So, you may or may not have heard this theory before, but it's one of those "I wish I'd known about that earlier" things that I recently started to understand. When you are on a weight loss journey, you sometimes will experience stalls or periods of unexplained plateaus. You're doing everything right, but you're not losing weight. It can get super frustrating, but there may be a scientific reason why it's happening. I've touched on this a little bit before, but today I wanted to explain it in a little better detail to provide some clarity, and hopefully, some encouragement if you've found yourself in a weight loss stall.  So, I've talked before about how your body puts in a lot of work to keep us healthy and thriving. Sometimes, if you change your eating habits suddenly, or are losing weight too quickly, your body will work to slow down the process, in case this might indicate that you are starving or in crisis. We know that we're not

Body Image While On a Weightloss Journey

So, today I wanted to write about something that is very personal for me - and that's maintaining self esteem while on a weight loss journey. Throughout my struggle with my weight over the last few years, my self esteem and body image has taken some massive hits. I have had lots of "I look like THAT?" moments, followed by several more "I STILL look like THAT?" The first time it really hit me how overweight I had gotten was at my son's second birthday party. I put a LOT of work into his Toy Story party and the end result was SO cute. I had gone pinterest-crazy and spent way too much money on a two year old's birthday, but I was SO pleased with the result. So much so that I hired a family friend to come take professional pictures. The pride I had felt in regard to his party quickly dissipated when I saw how I looked in the pictures. At first glance, all you see in this picture is a young, happy family - but for me, these photos represent how far gon