Skip to main content

Recipe: Green Chili Chicken Soup

So yesterday we had a surprise stormy day here in Tampa, the kind that makes you want to go home and curl up in your PJ's and eat something hot. We had church in the morning, I worked a few hours, dashed home for lunch and came back for the kid's last night of Awana and parent night. The whole thing was a bit much, I don't really enjoy large, crowded children's events and the evening ended with me being yelled at by a random dad who accused me of cutting in line because I sent my six year old to stand in line with my husband who had been holding a spot. I was accused of being entitled even though we were all standing in line for free ice cream... so, that was fun. We came out to a pretty bad storm and driving home took twice as long as normal because the road ahead was white with the rain. Anyway, all we wanted to do by the time we got home was put on pajamas, sit on the couch, eat some comfort food and go to bed. I was so grateful that I had chosen this day to experiment with a new soup recipe and that it was waiting in the crock pot for us upon arrival. Gotta love a dinner that only requires you to throw some stuff in the crock pot and leave it there all day. And, it was delicious and very keto-friendly, so win-win! This soup is creamy, smokey and flavorful. Not too spicy, but you definitely have the freedom to add some "heat" if you like. My husband topped his with Green Dragon Hot Sauce from Trader Joes.


One of my favorite flavor combinations is cream cheese and green chili's. I used to LOVE to get a hot jalapeno and cream cheese pretzel from Wawa, because I loved how the cream cheese balanced the spice of the jalapeno. I had the idea while strolling through Aldi and I noticed the can of green chili's for about $0.75. I knew I had some thawed chicken breasts in my fridge that I needed to use, but wasn't super excited about them because, let's be honest, who gets "excited" about chicken breasts? It's a pretty boring protein, but the most "boring" proteins are usually the most flexible too. I thought, why not make a crock pot soup? I was trying to think of what would be in a white chicken chili, and I remembered that usually has white beans or some other type of starch in it. I figured it would be fine without, but still could use some texture. So I decided to use raw cauliflower in place of beans. I knew it wouldn't be exactly the same, but cauliflower is also an extremely versatile food, so I figured it would work. I used fresh cauliflower, but you could also use frozen or riced cauliflower.

Ingredients for Crockpot Green Chili Chicken Soup:
- 3 raw chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 small can of green chili's
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tbs each: salt, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder and parsley
- 1 (8 oz) block of cream cheese
- 2/3 cup heavy cream



Gather your seasonings. I used a generous amount of salt, parsley, cumin, garlic and onion powder. If you like a bit more heat, black pepper and chili powder would be a great addition! I am allergic to black pepper so I don't cook with it, but even I can say it would have been a nice addition to this creamy soup.



Plop your chicken in the crockpot and season.


Cover with the chicken broth and add your green chili's (I didn't drain, I just dumped the whole can in there).


Let that cook on low for about 6 hours. When that time is up, your chicken will pretty much be falling apart! Pull it out with tongs and shred it up.


When it's shredded, put it back in the broth in the crock pot (you want to give the shredded chicken some more time to soak up the flavors and seasonings of the broth). Chop up your raw cauliflower into small pieces and add that to the soup too. I added this now, as opposed to earlier in the process, because I wanted the cauliflower to add texture, not turn to mush.


Add a block of cream cheese to the broth.


Give it a couple more hours on low to let the cream cheese melt, stir it in thoroughly and add the cream. And you're done!


My husband topped his with some green hot sauce (he likes a lot more "heat" than I do) but I think other toppings such as chopped jalapenos, cheese, or bacon would go great with this too!

This recipe, as is, comes out to 240 calories (for 1/6 of the pot), 17.5g fat, 3.2 carbs, and 15g protein.

If you enjoyed this recipe and post it to social media, use #TheKetoCoach :)

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram @keto_rebekah

For information on my e-books to help you get started with your Keto Weightloss Journey, visit https://etsy.com/shop/ketocoach today! Use code KETO15 for 15% off your order!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Cheesecake Fruit Dip

Happy Memorial Day! Later today we are going over to my parent's house for a family dinner and yesterday I was perusing the Aldi for something fun to bring along with us. They had some great looking keto-friendly-fruit (berries) for super cheap (which, let's be honest, that's why we love Aldi!). So I grabbed a bunch (all for under $5) and decided to come up with a fruit dip that would compliment it. I used to create a fruit dip that was [delicious, but] chock full of sugar that was cream cheese, cool whip and sweetened condensed milk. Every once and a while, I would try to reign in the sugar by buying "light" or sugar free cool whip, but still, the sweetened condensed milk accounted for everyone's carbs for the day (or week). Anyway, it was one of my favorite things to make for a party, and I wanted to come up with a keto friendly alternative. On instagram somewhere, a friend posted a recipe for keto condensed milk, and I'll try that one day, b

"The Fat Woosh" Theory

So, you may or may not have heard this theory before, but it's one of those "I wish I'd known about that earlier" things that I recently started to understand. When you are on a weight loss journey, you sometimes will experience stalls or periods of unexplained plateaus. You're doing everything right, but you're not losing weight. It can get super frustrating, but there may be a scientific reason why it's happening. I've touched on this a little bit before, but today I wanted to explain it in a little better detail to provide some clarity, and hopefully, some encouragement if you've found yourself in a weight loss stall.  So, I've talked before about how your body puts in a lot of work to keep us healthy and thriving. Sometimes, if you change your eating habits suddenly, or are losing weight too quickly, your body will work to slow down the process, in case this might indicate that you are starving or in crisis. We know that we're not

Body Image While On a Weightloss Journey

So, today I wanted to write about something that is very personal for me - and that's maintaining self esteem while on a weight loss journey. Throughout my struggle with my weight over the last few years, my self esteem and body image has taken some massive hits. I have had lots of "I look like THAT?" moments, followed by several more "I STILL look like THAT?" The first time it really hit me how overweight I had gotten was at my son's second birthday party. I put a LOT of work into his Toy Story party and the end result was SO cute. I had gone pinterest-crazy and spent way too much money on a two year old's birthday, but I was SO pleased with the result. So much so that I hired a family friend to come take professional pictures. The pride I had felt in regard to his party quickly dissipated when I saw how I looked in the pictures. At first glance, all you see in this picture is a young, happy family - but for me, these photos represent how far gon