Skip to main content

Recipe: Keto Goat Cheese "Polenta"


So when I was pregnant with my littlest, one of the biggest cravings I had was grits. I'd never been a huge fan of grits before, but all of the sudden, it was all I wanted to eat. I would make cheese grits, top it with crumbled bacon, and that made unborn Hannah and I both very happy. 😂

Ever since, things like that have been a nostalgic kind of comfort food and one of the things I miss since starting Keto. When I make certain meals, I wish there was a kind of starch that would pair well that wasn't cauliflower rice or mash. I don't mind either of those things, but the texture of pre-made riced cauliflower has never been my favorite (I know I'm not alone). I've learned to make mashed cauliflower work, but only after a good bit of working on it do I really find it palatable.

Anyway, the other day I was thinking, and I asked my husband if he thought I could make a "grits" knockoff by finely shredding cauliflower into granules and cooking it as if it were grits, and he suggested I aim for more of a "polenta."

The main difference between the two is that grits are made from white corn and polenta is made from yellow corn and is cut into coarser pieces than grits. Grits are a staple in southern style cuisine, while polenta is a staple of Italian cuisine. In the end, I think what I've created here could pass as either. I made it to go with my Mississippi pork roast, and though those two things don't "obviously" go together, they really did work well together. I somehow even managed to replicate the sweetness of corn without using any starchy ingredients, so this was a winner for me.

Recipe for Keto Polenta:
- 1 head of fresh cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp each: salt, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley



Put your cauliflower florets in your food processor. I set my food processor to "puree" because I wanted to get it as finely ground as possible.



Your cauliflower should be ground into tiny bits, like so:


Melt your butter on medium-high heat:


Add your cauliflower to the skillet and sautee for a couple minutes.


After it has cooked for a few minutes, add in your chicken broth. Stir occasionally while the chicken broth continues to absorb and cook off. This is sort of the "boiling" process that will cook your cauliflower.


After that has cooked for about 10-15 minutes and most of the liquid is absorbed, add your heavy cream (I forgot a picture of this step - oops) and stir to incorporate. Stir for a few minutes until the cream is hot. Reduce to medium-low.

Add in your seasonings, goat cheese and parmesan. Stir until the cheeses have melted in with the other ingredients and let it remain on the medium-low heat for another 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.


And you're done! If you want it to be a bit "looser" or soupier, you could always add a bit more cream and serve. I served it with my Mississippi Pork Roast and it was delicious!


If you make this recipe, make sure to use #TheKetoCoach :)
Follow me on instagram @keto_rebekah





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Cheesecake Fruit Dip

Happy Memorial Day! Later today we are going over to my parent's house for a family dinner and yesterday I was perusing the Aldi for something fun to bring along with us. They had some great looking keto-friendly-fruit (berries) for super cheap (which, let's be honest, that's why we love Aldi!). So I grabbed a bunch (all for under $5) and decided to come up with a fruit dip that would compliment it. I used to create a fruit dip that was [delicious, but] chock full of sugar that was cream cheese, cool whip and sweetened condensed milk. Every once and a while, I would try to reign in the sugar by buying "light" or sugar free cool whip, but still, the sweetened condensed milk accounted for everyone's carbs for the day (or week). Anyway, it was one of my favorite things to make for a party, and I wanted to come up with a keto friendly alternative. On instagram somewhere, a friend posted a recipe for keto condensed milk, and I'll try that one day, b

"The Fat Woosh" Theory

So, you may or may not have heard this theory before, but it's one of those "I wish I'd known about that earlier" things that I recently started to understand. When you are on a weight loss journey, you sometimes will experience stalls or periods of unexplained plateaus. You're doing everything right, but you're not losing weight. It can get super frustrating, but there may be a scientific reason why it's happening. I've touched on this a little bit before, but today I wanted to explain it in a little better detail to provide some clarity, and hopefully, some encouragement if you've found yourself in a weight loss stall.  So, I've talked before about how your body puts in a lot of work to keep us healthy and thriving. Sometimes, if you change your eating habits suddenly, or are losing weight too quickly, your body will work to slow down the process, in case this might indicate that you are starving or in crisis. We know that we're not

Body Image While On a Weightloss Journey

So, today I wanted to write about something that is very personal for me - and that's maintaining self esteem while on a weight loss journey. Throughout my struggle with my weight over the last few years, my self esteem and body image has taken some massive hits. I have had lots of "I look like THAT?" moments, followed by several more "I STILL look like THAT?" The first time it really hit me how overweight I had gotten was at my son's second birthday party. I put a LOT of work into his Toy Story party and the end result was SO cute. I had gone pinterest-crazy and spent way too much money on a two year old's birthday, but I was SO pleased with the result. So much so that I hired a family friend to come take professional pictures. The pride I had felt in regard to his party quickly dissipated when I saw how I looked in the pictures. At first glance, all you see in this picture is a young, happy family - but for me, these photos represent how far gon