Skip to main content

Tips for Eating Keto on a Tight Budget


If you've been following any die-hard ketoers on social media (I do, my entire "follow" list on IG is people committed to the Keto diet!) it's easy to get the idea that we all live off of prime rib and avocados. If you are on a tight budget, it is easy to be scared off from a diet consisting mainly of meat and vegetables, but I wanted to share some tips on how to stick to a no-carb diet and not break the bank.

First, it is important to remember that any time you shift your style of eating and begin to cut out food groups, you are automatically saving money by no longer purchasing sugar-filled, processed foods. It may seem like healthy eating is more expensive, but I've found that I will spend the same amount of money whether I'm buying junk food or whether I'm buying healthy food. Everyone spends money on food, you just have to prioritize your way of eating. Secondly, don't put too much thought into what you see ketoers posting to their social media. Most of us will post only the best looking, most photogenic food that will appeal to the largest group of people. The simple, cheap, or just flat out unattractive meals don't usually get posted. Now that we have that established, let's move on to my favorite tips;

1. Shop at Aldi
It took me a few grocery trips to get used to the no-frills, bag-your-own-groceries atmosphere of Aldi, but once I did, I was shocked by how much more bang for my buck I got. Everything they sell, for the most part, is their own generic brand with some exceptions. Right off the bat, you save money because you lose the big-name labels. They have great prices on cheese, eggs, bacon, pork rinds... all the keto staples. If you have an Aldi anywhere close to you, definitely utilize it for grocery shopping.

2. Keep your "menu" simple
Don't try to be fancy with your eating. If all you can spend on groceries is $50, buy two cartons of eggs (about $4), some cheese (whatever kind you like, about $5), a pack of bacon ($4), some green veggies that you enjoy ($5-6), one box of butter ($4), pork rinds ($2), some deli meat ($4-5) and some ground beef and chicken breasts (about $15). You can eat eggs for one meal, a salad with hard boiled eggs for the next, and some of your meat cooked in butter and topped with cheese for the next. The next day, have some bacon and veggies, meat left over from dinner, and some more eggs. Keep it simple, and you won't be spending outside of your budget.

3. Eat everything you buy
This may sound like a silly one, but we used to be big food-wasters, and so I've had to learn this one. If you're trying not to overspend on groceries, you need to get OK with some repetition and make a habit of eating leftovers and perishables before they go bad. If you neglect your leftovers, and end up throwing them out, just think of that as literal dollar bills going in the garbage. I hate the thought of that!

4. Utilize Costco or Sam's Club for the fancier stuff
If you have a Costco, Sam's Club, or BJ's membership, or have a friend with a membership that you can tag along with using their member card, use it for the more "fancy" stuff. When I go grocery shopping at Costco, I buy my dairy (half and half, heavy whipping cream), eggs, meat and almond flour there. You can't beat the price for any of it, I've done the math, they can't be beat. I make a point of keeping gallon-size Ziploc freezer bags handy and when I come home from a Costco run, I break up my meat into reasonable portions, label the bags (description, rough weight guesstimate and DATE) and put what I'm not going to immediately use (in the next 4-5 days) in the freezer. This way I always have a steady supply of dark meats in my freezer ready to thaw and cook, and it doesn't go bad as quickly. Less waste = more savings. This tip is more useful if you are able to spend more money in one sitting, I understand it's not as helpful if you're spending has to be restricted to what you will immediately eat. If you can't do this type of "investment" shopping, then I definitely would suggest Aldi (again) or Walmart.

5. Look for meat that has been reduced for quick sale
Regardless of where you shop, most butchers are usually required to mark meat that has a "sell by" date approaching in the next 48 hours. I have found some great deals on really nice steaks (that I wouldn't usually spring for) this way. Last week I bought two ribeyes and a porterhouse (yum) that were reduced for quick sale, and I just adjusted my meal plan to incorporate them in the next couple of days. Look for these deals when you go shopping, and you can either eat them in the next 24-48 hours or freeze for later use.

6. Meal Plan
I have HAD to get myself into a habit of planning meals for my family, even if it's just a rough, very vague outline. Before going shopping, jot down a list of meals that you want to cook in the next week or two, and then write down the ingredients needed for those meals. I have found that meal planning saves me a lot of money; the less "I forgot an ingredient" runs I'm making to the store, the less I spend overall.

7. Intermittent Fasting
Again, this one might sound a little strange, but it stands to reason that if you are eating less frequently, you will save money on food. If you are someone who can get in the habit of eating one or two larger meals per day, and fasting for set periods of time during the week, you will also save money overall. Intermittent fasting is also a great way to boost your metabolism and your keto weight loss results. Look up information about IF online and if that sounds like something you could do, it's definitely worth a try!

What tips have you found that help you save money on groceries?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Cheesecake Fruit Dip

Happy Memorial Day! Later today we are going over to my parent's house for a family dinner and yesterday I was perusing the Aldi for something fun to bring along with us. They had some great looking keto-friendly-fruit (berries) for super cheap (which, let's be honest, that's why we love Aldi!). So I grabbed a bunch (all for under $5) and decided to come up with a fruit dip that would compliment it. I used to create a fruit dip that was [delicious, but] chock full of sugar that was cream cheese, cool whip and sweetened condensed milk. Every once and a while, I would try to reign in the sugar by buying "light" or sugar free cool whip, but still, the sweetened condensed milk accounted for everyone's carbs for the day (or week). Anyway, it was one of my favorite things to make for a party, and I wanted to come up with a keto friendly alternative. On instagram somewhere, a friend posted a recipe for keto condensed milk, and I'll try that one day, b

"The Fat Woosh" Theory

So, you may or may not have heard this theory before, but it's one of those "I wish I'd known about that earlier" things that I recently started to understand. When you are on a weight loss journey, you sometimes will experience stalls or periods of unexplained plateaus. You're doing everything right, but you're not losing weight. It can get super frustrating, but there may be a scientific reason why it's happening. I've touched on this a little bit before, but today I wanted to explain it in a little better detail to provide some clarity, and hopefully, some encouragement if you've found yourself in a weight loss stall.  So, I've talked before about how your body puts in a lot of work to keep us healthy and thriving. Sometimes, if you change your eating habits suddenly, or are losing weight too quickly, your body will work to slow down the process, in case this might indicate that you are starving or in crisis. We know that we're not

Body Image While On a Weightloss Journey

So, today I wanted to write about something that is very personal for me - and that's maintaining self esteem while on a weight loss journey. Throughout my struggle with my weight over the last few years, my self esteem and body image has taken some massive hits. I have had lots of "I look like THAT?" moments, followed by several more "I STILL look like THAT?" The first time it really hit me how overweight I had gotten was at my son's second birthday party. I put a LOT of work into his Toy Story party and the end result was SO cute. I had gone pinterest-crazy and spent way too much money on a two year old's birthday, but I was SO pleased with the result. So much so that I hired a family friend to come take professional pictures. The pride I had felt in regard to his party quickly dissipated when I saw how I looked in the pictures. At first glance, all you see in this picture is a young, happy family - but for me, these photos represent how far gon