Skip to main content

Recipe: Homemade Peanut Butter


So, a few weeks ago I started doing some serious thinking about how I could start eliminating processed sugar from my kid's diets. I don't fit into the "crunchy mom" category by any means, so do not get the idea that I am pretending to. However, I think that it's important that my kids don't get in the habit of having sugar three times a day, because I've now learned so much about the negative effects of overconsumption. If I can set them up for nutritional success, then I want to do that. So I started thinking about things they eat regularly, and trying to find healthier alternatives. We've replaced pop tarts with organic toast and fruit, we've replaced frozen pizzas with homemade keto pizzas (they LOVE them too, you can find a great recipe for those here!) and we've swapped sugary peanut butter for homemade and keto-friendly peanut butter.

Though my kids were the inspiration for me starting to make my own peanut butter, it is a delicious swap that everyone in our household enjoys. Also, it's a lot cheaper. All natural peanut butters can get pretty pricey and often times still have added sugars and weird chemicals. There are companies that make sugar free nut butters with fun flavorings to satisfy a sweet tooth, but those usually run about $12.99-15.99 for a small container! Yikes! We are peanut butter lovers in our house, so paying that much for something that will be gone in a few days just doesn't fly. Making them homemade costs about $2-3 a jar and you can add in your own flavors with ingredients that you either have in your pantry already, or are super cheap to buy. I bought a large container of salted peanuts at Costco, but you can also buy plain ole peanuts from any grocery store. I've also used unsalted peanuts that I bought at Aldi. My only caution? It attracts really cute little peanut butter thieves.


For storage, I use old pickle jars that I have [thoroughly] washed out.


So far, I've made plain peanut butter, chocolate peanut butter and snicker-doodle peanut butter. As you can see, the snicker-doodle is a popular choice in our house. :) Each recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter.

Recipe for Plain Peanut Butter:
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbs stevia or erithritol (optional)

Place all ingredients in food processor. Set processor to "puree" and blend until smooth.

Recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter:
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup of stevia or erithritol
- 2 tbs honey

Place all ingredients in food processor. Set processor to "puree" and blend until smooth.

Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter:
- 2 cups unsalted peanuts 
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbs cinnamon 
- 1 tbs apple pie spice blend (pumpkin works as well)
- 1/2 cup stevia or erithritol 
- pinch of salt

Place all ingredients in food processor. Set processor to "puree" and blend until smooth.

In the future, I will definitely be experimenting some more with different nuts and different flavors. If you have any flavor ideas that you'd like to see, please let me know! Until then, enjoy!

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Cheesecake Fruit Dip

Happy Memorial Day! Later today we are going over to my parent's house for a family dinner and yesterday I was perusing the Aldi for something fun to bring along with us. They had some great looking keto-friendly-fruit (berries) for super cheap (which, let's be honest, that's why we love Aldi!). So I grabbed a bunch (all for under $5) and decided to come up with a fruit dip that would compliment it. I used to create a fruit dip that was [delicious, but] chock full of sugar that was cream cheese, cool whip and sweetened condensed milk. Every once and a while, I would try to reign in the sugar by buying "light" or sugar free cool whip, but still, the sweetened condensed milk accounted for everyone's carbs for the day (or week). Anyway, it was one of my favorite things to make for a party, and I wanted to come up with a keto friendly alternative. On instagram somewhere, a friend posted a recipe for keto condensed milk, and I'll try that one day, b

"The Fat Woosh" Theory

So, you may or may not have heard this theory before, but it's one of those "I wish I'd known about that earlier" things that I recently started to understand. When you are on a weight loss journey, you sometimes will experience stalls or periods of unexplained plateaus. You're doing everything right, but you're not losing weight. It can get super frustrating, but there may be a scientific reason why it's happening. I've touched on this a little bit before, but today I wanted to explain it in a little better detail to provide some clarity, and hopefully, some encouragement if you've found yourself in a weight loss stall.  So, I've talked before about how your body puts in a lot of work to keep us healthy and thriving. Sometimes, if you change your eating habits suddenly, or are losing weight too quickly, your body will work to slow down the process, in case this might indicate that you are starving or in crisis. We know that we're not

My Keto Progress, Month 3

I have been Keto for three months now, as of May 1! And I feel great! So this month was a little bit frustrating because I was stuck on a plateau for three weeks. For the first 2/3 of April, my weight either stayed exactly the same at 203 or fluctuated up to 207 and back down again (I HATE holding on to water, so frustrating!) I stayed consistent and kept working out. I ate intuitively and ate when I was hungry and didn't when I wasn't. I was SO excited when I stepped on the scale to see 202, the plateau was finally broken! My consistency paid off, and I experienced a "fat whoosh" and FINALLY got down into the 190's! I ended the month at 198 and I was SO excited, I have wanted to get to "onederland" for so long! The theory behind the "fat whoosh" effect is that sometimes, when you are losing weight, your fat cells start to shrink but fill up with water as a place holder. When you've been overweight for a long time, or you have b