Skip to main content

Recipe: Keto Cinnamon Rolls



So, cinnamon rolls have been a tradition in my family forever. As far back as I can remember, I looked forward to having them every year on Thanksgiving and Christmas morning. When I got married and started having kids, we continued the tradition, but my kids liked it so much, we eventually turned it into a Christmas, Thanksgiving, Mothers/Fathers day, birthday tradition :) We always just used the canned cinnamon rolls that come with the little bucket of frosting. They're delicious, but needless to say, LOADED with sugar and carbs. As I have gotten older, and less tolerant of sugar, this tradition has left me feeling like garbage about an hour after breakfast. Not only did my blood sugar crash, but they seemed to just evaporate and leave me starving not long after. We got in the habit of also making bacon to go with them, so we'd have some protein, but it didn't help much.

When I started Keto, I knew that I would need to say goodbye to the canned rolls, but I was kind of bummed out about it since it was the tradition. I browsed a few recipes online, but was kind of weirded out by the idea of using fathead dough for something sweet. I thought it would be bizarre, that there's no way mozzarella could ever turn into something sweet, instead of savory. The more I thought about it, though, the more I realized that mozzarella is pretty neutral. One recipe I saw made rolls that were tiny and crunchy, and I wasn't into that idea so much. The main draw of cinnamon rolls is that they are soft, hot and gooey. The second draw is that they are super easy to pop out of a can the morning-of and stick in the oven (I never want to spend a bunch of time creating a complicated recipe in the kitchen in the morning). So, I knew what I wanted to create was something that was soft and gooey, and something I could prep the night before and save in the fridge for the next day. I'm happy to say that these stored GREAT overnight and, I think, the fact that the dough was completely chilled helped them cook nice and slow and not get crispy or flattened out. So, if you're thinking ahead, I'd strongly recommend making them the night before, covering them, and storing in the fridge overnight.

Lastly, I have finally figured out that the perfect method for "smooshing out" fathead dough is by using two sheets of parchment paper, one to lay the dough on, and the other to place over top of it while you smash down the dough with your hands. If you have a rolling pin, even better. You can roll it out and prevent it from sticking to everything by using two sheets of parchment paper.

I will say, this recipe looks a little more complicated than it actually is. I usually try to create recipes that only require getting one or two bowls dirty, but that wasn't the case for this one. However - it's worth it.

Sweet Fathead Dough:
- 3 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbs stevia

Cinnamon-"Sugar" Filling:
- 1/2 cup stevia
- 1 generous tbs cinnamon

Cinnamon Glaze:
- 3 tbs melted butter
- 2 tbs stevia
-1/2 tbs cinnamon

Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup stevia
- 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream

First, create your fathead dough. Place your mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave in 30 second increments, mixing together in between. Soften in microwave until it is smooth and "gummy." Work in your almond flour and stevia until thoroughly combined.

Lay out your first sheet of parchment paper. Place your ball of fathead dough on the sheet, and use a second sheet to smash it down and smooth it out until it is completely flat.


Once you get your dough flattened, to about 1/3 of an inch thick, spread your cinnamon "sugar" filling all over your flat dough, all the way out to the edges.


 Roll your dough tightly, like a taco.


Once your dough is rolled, use a sharp knife to cut your dough into discs about one inch thick.


Place your discs in a greased or nonstick cake pan. I like to place them close together, not spaced out like cookies, so the sides end up touching in the oven and keeps them soft.


Then, make your glaze. Melt butter, and mix in stevia and cinnamon. Brush this glaze on top of your rolls.


If you are storing these for the next day, cover them as is, and stick in the fridge (recommended). If not, I would still recommend sticking in the freezer for a few minutes to cool down the dough.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 18-22 minutes, until they are just golden brown.

While they are baking, whip up your cream cheese frosting. Place all of your ingredients in a bowl and beat together with a hand mixer until thoroughly combined. Spread on top of your rolls after they have had a few minutes to cool.

And that's it! What you end up with is a delicious, warm, comfort-foody breakfast. And, check out that texture!


Enjoy!


 If you aren't following me on IG yet, find me @keto_rebekah or subscribe to this blog to be the first to know when new keto recipes are posted.

Interested in losing weight with Keto but don't know where to start? My E-Book Can Help!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Cheesecake Fruit Dip

Happy Memorial Day! Later today we are going over to my parent's house for a family dinner and yesterday I was perusing the Aldi for something fun to bring along with us. They had some great looking keto-friendly-fruit (berries) for super cheap (which, let's be honest, that's why we love Aldi!). So I grabbed a bunch (all for under $5) and decided to come up with a fruit dip that would compliment it. I used to create a fruit dip that was [delicious, but] chock full of sugar that was cream cheese, cool whip and sweetened condensed milk. Every once and a while, I would try to reign in the sugar by buying "light" or sugar free cool whip, but still, the sweetened condensed milk accounted for everyone's carbs for the day (or week). Anyway, it was one of my favorite things to make for a party, and I wanted to come up with a keto friendly alternative. On instagram somewhere, a friend posted a recipe for keto condensed milk, and I'll try that one day, b

"The Fat Woosh" Theory

So, you may or may not have heard this theory before, but it's one of those "I wish I'd known about that earlier" things that I recently started to understand. When you are on a weight loss journey, you sometimes will experience stalls or periods of unexplained plateaus. You're doing everything right, but you're not losing weight. It can get super frustrating, but there may be a scientific reason why it's happening. I've touched on this a little bit before, but today I wanted to explain it in a little better detail to provide some clarity, and hopefully, some encouragement if you've found yourself in a weight loss stall.  So, I've talked before about how your body puts in a lot of work to keep us healthy and thriving. Sometimes, if you change your eating habits suddenly, or are losing weight too quickly, your body will work to slow down the process, in case this might indicate that you are starving or in crisis. We know that we're not

My Keto Progress, Month 3

I have been Keto for three months now, as of May 1! And I feel great! So this month was a little bit frustrating because I was stuck on a plateau for three weeks. For the first 2/3 of April, my weight either stayed exactly the same at 203 or fluctuated up to 207 and back down again (I HATE holding on to water, so frustrating!) I stayed consistent and kept working out. I ate intuitively and ate when I was hungry and didn't when I wasn't. I was SO excited when I stepped on the scale to see 202, the plateau was finally broken! My consistency paid off, and I experienced a "fat whoosh" and FINALLY got down into the 190's! I ended the month at 198 and I was SO excited, I have wanted to get to "onederland" for so long! The theory behind the "fat whoosh" effect is that sometimes, when you are losing weight, your fat cells start to shrink but fill up with water as a place holder. When you've been overweight for a long time, or you have b